History of the UPhA
Utah was only a Territory when a number of its pharmacists met in Salt Lake City, April 5th, 1892, and organized themselves into an Association. J.B. Farlow, of Salt Lake City, presided over the preliminary meeting, and L. W. King acted as secretary. The following permanent officers were elected: President, F. A. Druehl, of Salt Lake City; vice-presidents, L. W. King, of Provo; and B.F. Riter, of Logan; secretary, C. H. McCoy, of Salt Lake City; and treasurer, S. P. Ash, of Ogden. The governor of the Territory was present and addressed the druggists. An adjourned meeting was held at Salt Lake City in October, when a number of applications for membership were acted upon, and standing committees appointed, one of them being on legislation, a pharmacy law having already been enacted. This completed the organization. It is said that no meeting of the Association was held between 1895 and 1905.
In the early 1980's, C. Neil Jensen became the Executive Director for the Association, and operations were run out of a Sugarhouse office off of 21st South. In 1996, Neil moved the office to Orem on Columbia Lane, which was just across the valley from his home. In 2001, Neil announced his retirement and he (and the current Board of Trustees at the time) hired Reid L. Barker to be the Executive Director. In 2002, the American Pharmaceutical Association, which was founded in 1852, held their Sesquicentennial Celebration in Phildelphia and made the decision to change their long-standing name to the American Pharmacists Association to separate the perception by the public of any affiliation with manufacturing. In 2004, UPhA did the same action - renaming the organization to the Utah Pharmacists Association, and established a new logo. In late 2007, under the direction of the Board of Trustees, Reid moved the operations of the Association to a Mount Pleasant. In February 2013, the Board of Trustees hired the mangement company of Association Solutions out of Midvale Utah to manage the Association. The Association office was then moved to the office of Association Solutions where it resides today.
For over 100 years, through it's leaders and Board members, UPhA has endeavored to represent Pharmacy in the State of Utah. This has included relationships with Legislators upon Capitol Hill, as well as partnerships with the University of Utah - College of Pharmacy and the new Pharmacy School within the University of Southern Nevada. We work closely with the Utah Pharmacy Board, and have open lines of communication with DOPL. And we have alliances with Wholesaler's and Manufacturing, and are also part of a National voice through our affiliation with the National Alliance of State Pharmacy Associations (NASPA). Below is a lost of key individuals who have helped us make a difference in our profession since our organization was founded in 1892.